A few years ago, when I started pondering about the possibility of porting juju to the Go language, one of the first pieces of the puzzle that were put in place was goyaml: a Go package to parse and serialize a yaml document. This was just an experiment and, as a sane route to get started, a Go layer that does all the language-specific handling was written on top of the libyaml C scanner, parser, and serializer library.
This was a good initial plan, but for a number of reasons the end goal was always to have a pure Go implementation. Having a C layer in a Go program slows down builds significantly due to the time taken to build the C code, makes compiling in other platforms and cross-compiling harder, has certain runtime penalties, and also forces the application to drop the memory safety guarantees offered by Go.
Last week I was part of a rant with a couple of coworkers around the fact Go handles errors for expected scenarios by returning an error value instead of using exceptions or a similar mechanism. This is a rather controversial topic because people have grown used to having errors out of their way via exceptions, and Go brings back an improved version of a well known pattern previously adopted by a number of languages — including C — where errors are communicated via return values. This means that errors are in the programmer’s face and have to be dealt with all the time. In addition, the controversy extends towards the fact that, in languages with exceptions, every unadorned error comes with a full traceback of what happened and where, which in some cases is convenient.
This weekend the proper environment settled out for sorting a pet peeve that shows up every once in a while when coding: writing logic that interacts with other applications in the system via their stdin and stdout streams is often more involved than it should be, which seems pretty ironic when sitting in front of a Unix-like system.
There are a number of common misconceptions in software development surrounding the idea of concurrency. This has been coming for decades, and some of the issues have just been reinforced one more time in an otherwise interesting post in LinkedIn’s engineering blog that recommends their development framework.
Such issues may be observed throughout the post, but can be elucidated via this short paragraph: Continue reading
I’m glad to announce experimental support for multi-document transactions in the mgo driver that integrates MongoDB with the Go language. The support is done via a driver extension, so it works with any MongoDB release supported by the driver (>= 1.8).
Here is a quick highlight list to get your brain ticking before the details:
- Supports sharding
- Operations may span multiple collections
- Handles changes, inserts and removes
- Supports pre-conditions
- No additional locks or leases
- Works with existing data
Let’s see what these actually mean and how the goodness is done.
Rob Pike just wrote an article/talk that is the best background on the origins of Go yet.
It surprises me how much his considerations match my world view pre-Go, and in a sense give me a fulfilling explanation about why I got hooked into the language. I still recall sitting in a hotel years ago with Jamu Kakar while we went through the upcoming C++0x standard (now C++11) and got perplexed about how someone could think that having details such as rvalue references and move constructors into the language specification was something reasonable.
Rob also expressed again the initial surprise that developers using languages such as Python and Ruby were more often the ones willing to migrate towards Go, rather than ones using C++, with some reasonable explanations about why that is so. While I agree with his considerations, I see Python going through the same kind of issue that caused C++ to be what it is today.
Consider this excerpt from PEP 0380 as evidence:
It wasn’t just the bunny that was active over the holidays. The r2012.04.08 release of the mgo MongoDB driver for Go has just been tagged. This release is supposed to be entirely compatible with the last release, and there are some nice improvements and a few important bug fixes, so upgrading is recommended.
For the impatient, here is a quick summary of the changes performed:
Back at the Ubuntu Platform Rally last week, I’ve pestered some of the Bazaar team with questions about co-location of branches in the same directory with Bazaar. The great news is that this seems to be really coming for the next release, with first-class integration of the feature in the command set. Unfortunately, though, it’s not quite yet ready for prime time, or even for I’m-crazy-and-want-this-feature time.
Some background on why this feature turns out to be quite important right now may be interesting, since life with Bazaar in the past years hasn’t really brought that up as a blocker. Continue reading
A long time before I seriously got into using distributed version control systems (DVCS) such as Bazaar and Git for developing software, it was already well known to me how the mechanics of these systems worked, and why people benefited from them. That said, it wasn’t until I indeed started to use DVCS tools that I understood how much my daily workflow around code bases would be changed and improved.
In the past week, I’ve finally stopped to fix something that I’ve been wishing for years: inline code reviews in Launchpad. Well, I haven’t exactly managed fix it in Launchpad, but the integration with Rietveld feels nice enough to be relatively painless.
The integration is done using the lbox tool, that was developed in Go using the lpad package for the communication with Launchpad, and a newly written rietveld package for communication with Rietveld.
If you want to join me in my happines, here are the few steps to get that working for you as well.